Friday 10 January 2014

Flowers: Current Thoughts

My mom's friend who is an amazingly talented gardener has offered to do the flowers for our wedding. She told me to pick a flower and pick a style and she'll take care of everything. Amazing! She and a friend have done four weddings so far. She told me her favourite choices so far were yellow roses and sunflowers. Apparently roses are actually a budget-friendly option because they are so widely available. Unfortunately, I don't like roses. Hey, don't get me wrong, I like them on Valentines Day but not in my bouquet.

I like peonies.  I love how big, soft and feminine they are:

Source: Wedding Wire

Source: Lover.ly
Source: Pinterest
Source: Pinterest

Source: Pinterest
Source: Pinterest
 I rest my case.

However, my MIL quickly informed me peonies are spring flowers. It didn't even occur to me to think about flowers seasonally. Then I got sad because I didn't realize how much I had envisioned peonies!

One of my friends did some research and found out that the Alaskan spring is in August and many brides overnight ship peonies for their wedding day. Sounds amazing but expensive.

My MIL suggested chrysathemums as an alternative:

Source: My English Club

And they do look lovely in a bouquet (although definitely different colours):

Source: Merledress
So I will consider them, probably in white, to go with another coral coloured flower.

Luckily, I found Life of a Vintage Lover's blog on peony alternatives! It made me feel better than someone else was in the same boat. She clearly did her research and found some beautiful flower options! I will share my favourite photos but I highly recommend you go directly to her blog and read her post by clicking here :

Sweet Juliet Roses

Source: Life of a Vintage Lover
Cabbage Roses

Source: Life of a Vintage Lover
Ranunculus

Source: Life of a Vintage Lover
 Dalias

Source: Life of a Vintage Lover
I did some more of my own "research" (cough, cough pinning) and found even more options most which bloom in August. I think I'm liking the idea of a really big soft white flower with some eye-catching coral coloured flowers. I like the big, bountiful bouquets. I also really love the vintage bouquets with intricate details on the stem portion (like the one above).

Garden Roses
 (no clue when they're in season but they are absolutely beautiful and come in the right colours)


Source: Pinterest

Source: Pinterest
Gladiolus(come in coral & bloom in August)



Source: bulbs4you
Hydrangea(come in coral & bloom in August. Would also look nice in white)



Source: Pinterest
Source: Boho Weddings
Succulents(so on trend right now and add a little quirkiness to the bouquet. Also look great for the guys)


Source: Confetti Daydreams
Source: Pinterest
So, obviously, there are a lot of choices to be made. Consulting with my personal florist (aka mom's friend) will no doubt help me decide what will fit out budget. Luckily, I have a while to digest and think before I have to decide on flowers.

Once I do decide the next hurdle will be deciding how to display them. Here are a few of my favourite options thus far:

Antique Blue  Mason Jars

Source: Pinterest
Vintage Crate

Source: Pinterest
Log Planter

Source: Pinterest
Well, that's all the brainstorming I can handle for now. I hope this post was somewhat helpful/interesting/inspiring to someone out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment